Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"Consistently Inconsistent"

For most of my life I can remember being consistently inconsistent in the area of working out. I would become motivated for a while and then something would get in the way and I'm long gone on the "excuses to stop working out" train. I guess maybe we all are "consistently inconsistent" in some area of our lives & and working out isn't the only area for me. However, it happens to be the area which I've been focusing on lately.
Over the last couple weeks as I have been trying to figure out why I am failing so much in this area, it clicked for me while I was reading a health blog. I honestly do not even remember who's blog it was but it was such an eye opener for me. This blogger was talking about her weight loss journey and she mentioned that you just have to do it for yourself. Not for anyone but YOU! Maybe that's why I've failed, you've failed, we've failed in the past? I could come up with many reasons why I should workout. But do I WANT to work out? What is my main goal? WHY am I doing this? Am I working out to please others? Or to benefit myself? I've fallen into the trap of working out to please others so many times. And at some point down that road the workout ended. For me, doing it for myself has been my biggest motivation. Over the past year while learning about health and fitness I've concluded that I want to work out to #1 benefit my body, and #2 to receive all of the other positive things that overflow from a healthy lifestyle. I don't want to seem like working out to please another person is a horrible decision either because I think that it is important to keep up with yourself (including a having presentable body for that special someone in your life that appreciates those qualities) :) But for me, that is not my main goal and #1 motivation. All in all, I think if doing it completely for you is #1 then you will reap all of the other benefits that freely flow from a consistent workout. You are the only one that can make the change you want to see. Stick with it, don't give up, and smile. Do it for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment